[Lancaster] Re: Install Fest

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Sep 8 13:22:05 BST 2005

Darren Poulson wrote:
> Ken Hough said:
>
>>WRT the above: Can I assume that items such as PC mains leads, ethernet
>>switch boxes and leads, etc will be available?
>

> Good point, I may not be going to the actual install fest, but I can
> supply a couple of small hubs

A 100M switch plus 10M hub plus cables would be good.

, network cables (box of cable and crippers
> too, just incase!), and power leads... We've got surplus power leads at
> work and I'm sure they won't miss a few! Can also supply a 4 port KVM or
> two to save some space and monitor requirements.
>
> Anything else? Well, I suppose Martyn knows what I've got to offer!

Martyn, Please note the above.

> Also, do we want people to burn a few copies of various distributions to
> give away? I know there's one or two proper unbuntu CD's knocking around
> (Martyn ;), but I don't mind running off a few copies of the latest
> Mandrake distro, and a few copies of the latest Knoppix. Got plenty of
> CD's and cheapo paper wallets. Anyone got a decent printer and wants to
> print out labels?

Rather than labels, I use a special pen. It's actually intended for
drawing on printed circuit board proir to etching, but does the job nicely.

I've just received (Yes! Today!) a copy of latest SuSE Linux
Professional v9.3 on DVD, via my subscription to Linux Magazine. I shall
have a copy of this on the headless server PC which I shall bring along,
so could do network installs from this and a couple of other distros.
Hence need for ethernet switch box(es).

I haven't got a DVD burner yet and I'm not risking the original DVD in
the chaos.