[Lancaster] A good wireless PCI card

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 09:01:54 BST 2006

Funnily enough, one of the cards I got hold of (and in this case returned) was
a netgear (WG311 I think). Early revisions of this card used the atheros
chipset, which is well supported natively under Linux. Unfortunately later
revisions don't use this chipset and thus require the use of ndiswrapper
(this allows the windows drivers to be used under linux).

Though I'm not a huge fan of this approach, I think that the manufacturers
should provide decent support. In this case I needed a card that Rene had
either already provided support for in Gibraltar (http://www.gibraltar.at/)
or wouldn't be a pig for him to add (thanks Rene for your help). So I voted
with my money and sent the netgear back and got a card that the chip
manufacturers were actively helping to provide a native linux driver for.

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)

PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/