[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Thu Apr 20 17:54:50 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 17:29 +0100, Ken Hough wrote:
> Clair wrote:
<snip>
> > By the wizards, I meant YAST. I once put SuSE on a 300MHz box, and had to use
> > YAST. Paaaaiiinnn.....
>
> It will run OK on a 300 MHz box given sufficient memory (at least 128MB,
> but better with 256MB). I run SuSE v9.1 on a couple of Athlon boxes,
> each with 512MB of RAM, and an 800MHz PIII laptop with 384MB of RAM.

I've run SUSE 10 on a dual processor 600Mhz Pentium III box with 256MB,
and I'm now running Ubuntu 5.10 on the same computer, and the increase
of speed is *very* noticable (and yes, both processors were in use both
times, before you ask :-) ) It's like a different computer - much more
responsive, and programs load a lot faster. (OpenOffice Writer, for
instance, takes about 10 seconds to load, as opposed to about 35 seconds
in SUSE). And yes, YAST was slooooow... It also boots a lot faster.
(Yes, I'm one of those weird people who likes to switch his computer off
from time to time...)

--
Ken Walton <ken.walton at carandol.net>