[Lancaster] Help me select a distrob

jonath j at jonath.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 00:25:30 BST 2006

Hi there,

I've been following this discussion about selecting a distribution so thought
I might put in my penny's worth or whatever the expression is.

Also, this is my first mailing to this newsgroup, so bear with me . . .

Seems to me that the variation in distributions is one of Linux's strengths
over other operating systems: the fact that you can install a version to fit
your requirements, knowing full well that you will still have a working
GNU/Linux system able to run the plethora of software available.

The distribution you would go with is down to the user and their requirements,
but may also involve a bit of trial and error. As someone else has already
pointed out, no distribution is perfect but this also applies to other
operating systems in general. One day computers will be ubiquitous and will
simply be tools and nothing more, but until such a day . . .

'HAB Boy' had drawn up a shortlist of Mandriva or Fedora Core 5. To this my
advice would simply be to try them out, see if they fit with their
requirements. If not, try out SuSE, Ubuntu or many of the other
recommendations already made. I use Gentoo, having got completely hacked off
with the package management features of other distributions, but this may
have changed since then. Gentoo, like all others, has it's pros and cons, a
major con being the lengthy/text-based (although very well documented)
installation required, but this didn't bother me. A pro, of course, being the
(almost) seamless installation/uninstallation of software. So, hey . . . each
to their own.

Whatever you choose, be aware that the GNU/Linux community is incredibly
helpful and supportive (in my experience) and it's rare that you'll encounter
a problem that no-one else has ever encountered (and, hence, provided a
solution thereof).

BYE!

jonath.