[Lancaster] Re: Help -- Video importing/processing software

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Wed Aug 2 14:46:14 BST 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 12:49, Ken Hough wrote:
> I hear all of the points that you make, but the fact is that we are
> presently left with a less than satisfactory situation where users
> suffer and a previously willing helper has been pissed off. Maybe he is
> now behaving like a big baby, I don't know. Maybe he isn't the only one.

I agree, though to be fair I'm not sure this contributor was sticking to the
rules.

> In order to gain full functionality of my webcam, I have no choice but
> to use Microsoft Windows. That irks me!

From what I understand, the new kernel driver should be working with full
functionality, though I must admit it will depend on which revision of the
kernel Suse are using...

> Living in an idealists world where practical compromises are not
> allowed, can only damage the image of Linux in the eyes of would be
> USERS. Idealism is fine to determine goals, but in my (now rather long)
> experience is NEVER 100% workable in the real world.
>
> Do you really believe that the likes of Philips are going to pay any
> attention to a relatively small bunch of guys who are effectively
> DEMANDING that they change their ways?

I'd suggest that it is the growing userbase demanding that they produce Linux
compatible devices which they should be listening to.

> I come back to my point about 'hearts and minds'. The best way to grow
> Linux has to be to accomodate the likes of Philips and other top class
> hardware suppliers. They all have a vested interest in keeping Microsoft
> happy which in turn means not promoting Linux.

I think this is dangerous. There is always the option of doing exactly what
Ndiswrapper and Nvidia do. Philips aren't actually interested at the moment,
it was someone offering to do the work for them who didn't want to deal with
the overhead of doing it that way.

I think they have a vested interest to not to be tied to microsoft.

> I have used Linux almost exclusively now for several years and wish to
> continue with it. I do not wish to recompile my kernel, although I have
> done this in the past. It would be nice not to have to go through the
> processes of ./configure, make and make install (only to discover that
> various packages are missing) to gain some additional functionality. OK,
> I know there are reasons why, but this is not for essencially non
> technical users.

I'll agree with you there. This is where the problem of being in a niche group
comes into play.

Interestingly on the webcam front there seems to be light at the end of the
tunnel (though it's still a little way off):

http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

> I DO wish to see the Linux user base grow. I'm reluctantly beginning to
> believe that growth will remain limited untill there's a change of
> attitude on both sides and that this must come first from the Linux side.

I disagree. An interesting observation that a few of us who attended Lug Radio
Live discussed was that the vast majority of the talks were not concerned
with low-level issues, but GUI and productivity issues.

Linux is still quite a new operating system, the core technology is now
starting to become solid and focus is beginning to spread up and outwards.
The main focus for Linux is/has/was the server market. More focus is now
moving to other markets such as the desktop and embedded space. It is now
that support for things such as webcams and other random peripherals will
start to flourish.

We are still at the early adopter stage in terms of desktop use, though it's
growing fast, which is going to put pressure on companies such as Philips to
play if they want a piece of the market.

Martyn

--

Martyn Welch (martyn at welchs.me.uk)

PGP Key : http://www.welchs.me.uk/martyn/pgpkey/