[Lancaster] Re: Help -- Video importing/processing software

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Thu Aug 3 23:58:51 BST 2006

I've been reading this exchange with interest, and wondered what your views
are on Freespire...

http://www.freespire.org/

Personally, while I approve of the politics of open source, I also want a
computer that works now, rather than after the revolution, and would rather
not be using MS products, though I need to be compatible with them in my
work (copy-editing) and study (undergrad at Lancaster Uni). Ubuntu is doing
fine, now that I've got it set up, but the idea of Freespire, which will run
DVDs and other media out of the box, seems like a step in the right
direction. (I don't have a DVD player, TV or hifi, so the computer is my
only form of media entertainment).

--
Ken Walton

On 8/3/06, Richard Robinson <llug_6a at beulah.qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:49:14PM +0100, Ken Hough wrote:
> > >On Thursday 03 August 2006 09:36, Ken Hough wrote:
> >
> > Exactly! And we come back to there having to be a commercial case.
> be

> this
> > >>
> > That's the attitude which irks me. ie 'I won't pay attention to what
> > people actually want, because I know I am right and I'm going to do it
> > my way nomatter what'.
>
> Well, yeah. When people work for free, this is likely to be a major factor
> ?
>

> --
> Richard Robinson
> "The whole plan hinged upon the natural curiosity of potatoes" - S. Lem

Ken Walton