[Lancaster] Question - Lancaster Linux User Group Meeting at

David Jenkinson cow at dowcow.net
Sat Aug 12 10:53:55 BST 2006

Darren Poulson wrote:

> Flash, fireworks and Linux don't exactly mix I'm afraid. You can get a flash
> plugin working under linux in most browsers but thats about it. Also, (at
> least in my opinion) flash and its ilk are not really any good.

Many of the sites that depend on flash are now asking for flash8 or even
flash9. The latest version available for linux is 7.

And thats only available for x86_32. Almost my whole system is 64bit
now, except for firefox which I use pretty much constantly because
theres no flashplayer for x86_64... grrrr

Macromedia say theres no 64bit plugin yet because the debugging code in
their sources isn't 64bit ready. Surely if this had been an open source
project from the start it would have been designed to work under more
than just an intel. What a shame one of the biggest web standards that
could have been is proprietary. (Won't go into discussion of whether its
actually necessary :-)