[Lancaster] Maybe help others and maybe expand the Linux network ...discuss ? maybe logic ?

sam sam at mojitosalsa.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 19:51:35 BST 2006

Dear Linux User Group

I am writing further to my bad question, Here is a good
question/questions

I write to you because you are part of the open source network and you
might have knowledge that could help furher your network and help
enable others all in one go !

I have been asked by Beaumont college to see what i can do or improve
creativity to make some Decent, Proper Music they said ?, I am a
musician and more recently a computer addict and my ideas so far are to
enable the production of creative products wheather they be programmed
products or manually made - I first worked with a piece of hardware
called Sound beam which enables the triggering of sound via midi, this
has some possibilities though it is limited too. There are other
devices that i know of ( and i wonder what you know)  to enable
disabled  access to computers so programming is totally possible,
certainly cognitively only some students, just like any group of
students,  will have the aptitude with assistance and technology
development to improve on that aptidue.

It has been remarked, By Tech Sean Sanderson, that many of the students
have very accurate control of their wheel chair control stick mcuh like
the old games machine joy stick, it was also pointed out that a piece
of conversion code had been made, named 'Midi Yoke', to use the Joy
stick as a Midi controller , we wondered if there was a way to make the
stick the instrument ,so that it's movements are assigned to musical
note attributes ?

So in the long run this is why i am writing to you guys, for lots of
reasons, mostly because you know how to make things work, and there are
lots of ways you can help us, i also hoped that there was some value in
te project for you guys to expand the open source network.

I guess software, but also calling any technicians for ideas  ?

0, I just wanted to put these ideas to the open source network to see
what the collective conciousness said ?

1, Training a student to be the Beaumont College Linux Tech to do our
Webste stuff ?

2, Is there an open source version of myspace - except downloadable -
abit like limewire but with an ID and instantl messaging ? No it's an
idea i just have no idea how to make it, though i think there is worthy
millage there,   why myspace.com ? - could any other network ?

3, One obvious way in i thought for the students was to get them
started on a myspace.com for several reasons gets them on the computer,
starts them learning code, in a fun, ish way, And it helps advertise
the generic website to sell our new products, web banners, music, art,
programming, anything Good.

WHY do i think this is possible you might ask, because it has been done.

These projects are big time, I am talking about Steve Varden,

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1354188,00.html

  he has taken his films to Cannes and to Sun Dance in Utah.

steve also Flys just for fun and is a very funny man.

i believe that with the right help Poeple can be enabled to create
things which we can ultimately all share in and which gives the student
more self respect and helps society accept  the disabled And makes
society a richer place. I also believe that these ideas will spill into
main stream life as we are talking about enabling people and people are
fundamentally the same, so there must be something for us to learn here
to.

AND probably more importantly, i just hate the subject, Funding,
Beaumonts funders Scope and making big loses on their charity shops,

I say 'ScopeEbay.com'

I hear there are ways of charities selling goods online already, any
knowledge ?

I also hear Scope are an organizational mess to.

Now this does not mean that it is a non runner, it's just on the
slippery slop.

There is a  good team which the Boss is trying to add to.

He will employ a business manager from september to help with marketing.

There is also a motivated team of Funders who can make things happen
given the right info, proposal pitch etc.

So please shout if anything springs to mind, even if a tangent,

at this stage i am investigating ideas.

Though i do also have a pilot project to build so any ideas could also
be included ?

Thanks for your time

Best

Sam Dale.