[Lancaster] Question - Lancaster Linux User Group Meeting at

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Mon Aug 14 12:26:14 BST 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 23:55, sam wrote:
> I am looking for info about Linux, Long term, right now i need some
> Flash and Fireworks (or are there are Better Linux equivalents  ?
> )training any ideas for courses or better still Tutors ?

Hi Sam,

As others have said - Flash and Linux don't mix overly well. As far as I know,
their is no problem with hosting flash-riddled sites on Apache (a web-server
which can run on Linux), just creating and sometimes viewing them. The
closest open source/open standards equivalent I know of is to use SVG [1].

As a fan of open standards, I find anything to be better than Flash. I've been
reading mail out of order, it seems that you are interested in disabled
access, from what I know, Flash is terrible for Disability Access to websites
[2]. Standard webpages, written and verified as standards compliant[3] are
the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Hope this helps,

Martyn

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics