[Lancaster] Linux 2006, Brighton, Sat 1st July: Introductory Session

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 09:17:19 BST 2006

FYI

Martyn

----------  Forwarded Message:  ----------

Subject: [lugmaster]  Linux 2006, Brighton, Sat 1st July: Introductory Session
Date: Tuesday 13 June 2006 23:33
From: Alasdair G Kergon <agk at ukuug.org>
To: lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk

[Please forward - I am not sending this one directly to the LUGs myself.]

I have now placed the timetable for this event onto the website.  We've
again put together a strong and varied line-up designed to appeal to all
tastes!  As usual, O'Reilly will be offering books at a discount and
Linux Emporium will also be there.

If you're thinking of attending but haven't placed your booking yet, please
would you do so ASAP?  We have to finalise numbers with the venue rather
early this year - first thing on Thursday this week (June 15th) - so
later bookings may miss out on food and accommodation:-(

Also, if you know of any people who might be interested in the free
introductory talks on Saturday (see below), please consider inviting
them - perhaps by forwarding this message to them.

Thanks,
Alasdair

-------------------------------------
Introductory talks: Saturday 1st July
-------------------------------------
This section of the conference is aimed at people who are relatively new to
linux and is free of charge.  Lunch is included if you register on the
website before Thursday 15th June.  Programme:

   * An introduction to Networking - Antony Stone
   * Getting Started with Apache - Jim Kissel (OSM Ltd.)
   * Securing Linux - Nils Magnus
   * What are all these distributions and how should I choose one?
       - Stuart Yeates (OSS Watch)
   * Creating DVD videos on Linux and Unix systems - Ben Hutchings

   * The politics of Linux - Andrew Nicolson (Southampton Institute)
   * Towards an All-Party Parliamentary Open Source Group - Leslie Fletcher
   * OpenOffice.org beyond 2.0... - Michael Meeks (Novell)
   * Kubuntu Dapper and KDE 4: The GNU/Linux Desktop
       - Jonathan Riddell (Canonical)

Venue: University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton.

  http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2006/saturdayfree/
  http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2006/programme/timetable_saturday.shtml

  Email: office at ukuug.org
  Tel: +44 1763 273 475

Event sponsored by Novell, The Positive Internet Company and IBM