[Lancaster] Problems in getting KMail to work

Martyn Welch welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed May 17 13:25:39 BST 2006

Hi Ken,

It sounds like it could be one of a few things:

1) Kmail's configuration is done separately for sending and receiving, they
are separate tabs under "Accounts" in the config. It sounds like you may have
missed the "sending" tab. I think this will default to trying to send
directly (or with sendmail) and will most likely need to be configured to
work with your ISP's SMTP server.

2)Kmail allows a number of  "Identities" to be setup. This allows the user to
quickly switch the behaviour of the mail client between a number of different
configurations. This can be very useful on laptops used for both work and
pleasure. It allows the "from" email address, name, signature, sending
account, PGP keys (for encryption and digital signing) , default sent-mail
and draft folder to be switched quickly.

The default identity is generally OK for simple use, however I have found that
it is sometimes best just to check that the "from" email address is setup
correctly (got to Configure Kmail -> Identities, select default identity,
click "Modify", Check "Email Address")

Hope that helps.

Martyn