[Lancaster] First impressions of SuSE v10.1

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed May 24 10:06:55 BST 2006

I've just updated from SuSE v9.1 to v10.1. This occupies 5 CDs plus an
addon CD. First impressions are very favourable indeed. As usual with
SuSE, installation was a doddle.

Why did I take so long to move from v9.1? Because that worked so well.

Am I glad that I updated? YES! There are lots of improvements and
additions. Those which I've been particularly struck by so far are:

KDE v3.5.1  --- seems to start up quicker than earlier versions.

KStars v1.2.0 (part of Kdeedu package) --- with the addition of a newly
developed INDI driver for EQ6 (not supplied by SuSE), I have remotely
controled my astronomical telescope/mount while looking at a planetarium
view of the sky. Fantastic!

Gimp v2.2.10 --- more polished than earlier versions. Also included by
default are 'dcraw' and 'ufraw' to handle RAW files from digital
cameras. 'ufraw' provides a very good UI. This addition alone would have
been enough for me to move to SuSE v10.1.

And there's lot's more still to explore.

I did have a look at Fedora Core 5, but still (perhaps not too
surprisingly) prefer Suse v10.1. The only reservation that I have with
modern SuSE is that it does really need a sensibly fast PC. It runs well
enough on my 800MHz laptop with 384MB of RAM and of course very well on
an Athlon 2200 box. The limiting factor is YAST.

YAST is IMHO the best and most complete installation and managment tool
available and makes for an easy life, but does need a bit of horsepower
to run at practical speeds.

This message is not intended to restart a distro war, just to serve as
an initial review.