[Lancaster] Setting up as a uni society.

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon May 29 18:30:26 BST 2006

On Monday 29 May 2006 17:18, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> Martyn Welch wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 May 2006 02:17, Clair wrote:
> >

> > Hm, I wonder if they'll accept my (dying) purple card...
>
> If it's this year's, then yes. Otherwise, no...
>
> The other issue about this is what I like to call the "lusu owns your
> soul" aspect. That is, the LUG would suddenly need a formal constitution
> that is in line with the union requirements, would need at least three
> officers, who would have to be current students, and so on. While this
> isn't too heinous, I can see people not liking it. Furthermore, we'd
> also have to keep formal membership and only allow people to join if
> they have a purple or purple-and-white (non-student) card. Then any
> activity which has any H&S aspects or possibly insurance liabilities
> would have to be restricted to members only.
>
> Not meaning to rain on any parades, but just pointing some other aspects
> to it.
>
> Sam

From this point of view, I have to say I'm not that keen on the idea. I know I
haven't been to many meetings lately, but to me the LUG has always been a
town thing as much as a uni thing, and stuff like this would be an obstacle
to people from the town getting involved.

Maybe the way to do it would be to have the uni LUG as an officially separate
organisation who just happen to have all their meetings at the same time and
place as the Lancaster LUG ;)

What I'm saying is if there are some benefits for the group from becoming a
society, fair enough, but not to let that official status get in the way of
what we're trying to do.