[Lancaster] Setting up as a uni society.

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon May 29 21:01:25 BST 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 08:11:35PM +0100, Clair wrote:
> On Monday 29 May 2006 18:29, Andy Baxter wrote:
> > Maybe the way to do it would be to have the uni LUG as an officially
> > separate organisation who just happen to have all their meetings at the
> > same time and place as the Lancaster LUG ;)
> >
> > What I'm saying is if there are some benefits for the group from becoming a
> > society, fair enough, but not to let that official status get in the way of
> > what we're trying to do.
>
> I'll be honest and say I didn't think of that - I don't want to stop non-uni
> members from taking part in any meetings, of course (I only think it would be
> a nice addition to have).
>
> I think I'll look into it further, and if there's no way non-members can still
> be part of the LUG without joining LUSU (which atm costs #10, if it was free
> then it wouldn't be much of a problem) then I'll drop the idea.

I agree with Andy that perhaps a new uni society (Lancaster Uni Unix
Users Group or somesuch) which is nothing to do with the LUG as such
but can organise meetings at the uni which the public is invited to,
is the way to go if possible.  These would not have to be the only
meetings that the LUG has.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB