[Lancaster] Setting up as a uni society.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue May 30 09:07:50 BST 2006

Clair wrote:

>On Monday 29 May 2006 18:29, Andy Baxter wrote:
>

>>From this point of view, I have to say I'm not that keen on the idea. I
>>know I haven't been to many meetings lately, but to me the LUG has always
>>been a town thing as much as a uni thing, and stuff like this would be an
>>obstacle to people from the town getting involved.
>>
>>Maybe the way to do it would be to have the uni LUG as an officially
>>separate organisation who just happen to have all their meetings at the
>>same time and place as the Lancaster LUG ;)
>>
>>What I'm saying is if there are some benefits for the group from becoming a
>>society, fair enough, but not to let that official status get in the way of
>>what we're trying to do.
>>

>I'll be honest and say I didn't think of that - I don't want to stop non-uni
>members from taking part in any meetings, of course (I only think it would be
>a nice addition to have).
>
>I think I'll look into it further, and if there's no way non-members can still
>be part of the LUG without joining LUSU (which atm costs #10, if it was free
>then it wouldn't be much of a problem) then I'll drop the idea.
>

>Clair - if anyone has any Clue about this, please do let me know.

Although I've not managed to get to any meetings recently, I do favour
informal arangements in a pub. This is conducive to informal chat about
Linux and the meaning of life, and is perhaps more in line with the
ethos of LUGs.

The Yorkie may not be the smartest place in town, but the beer is OK and
the car park is just across the road. OK, I have a bit of self interest
here, but this would apply to anyone else from out of town.

Those of you who know me will appreciate that I am at ease with a Uni'
atmosphere. However, I believe that to non student types, it might seem
big, confusing and a more remote than a pub or similar.

When we previously had a definate base for meetings (the Folly), it
seemed that we spent practically all of our time in sorting out hardware
rather than in useful talk/debate, etc. Most times, hardware can be
dealt with at home/work.

An alternative venue for formal presentations is good, but otherwise, I
favour a pub.

Ken