[Lancaster] Canoscan Lide Scanners under Linux

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Sun Oct 8 09:45:19 BST 2006

Does anyone out there have experience of using Canoscan Lide scanners
under Linux?

Are you listening Martyn? If I remember correctly, you set one up back
in the Folly.

There's a guy on the Gimp user group forum who has problems and I wrote
that I would try to help. The message in question and my response are as
follows:

Mike Vore wrote:

> The system:
> Linux  2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1  (Fedora Core 4 - FC4)
>
> Gimp:
> 2.2.11
>
> Scanner:
> Cannon Canoscan Lide,  on a USB port
>
> The problem:
> Gimp does not recognize the scanner.
>
> I've upgraded from FC-3 to FC-4, and a few versions of Gimp since I last
> needed to scan into Gimp so I don't know which upgrade lost the scanner.
> It's probably a module not loaded, but I don't remember which one.  So in
> short "help!". I hate to have to go back to W2k just to scan.
>
> mike

Mike,

You are a little out of date. Fedora Core 5 has been out for a while and
has had good reports. I cannot be certain that it will recognise your
scanner, but would be surprised if it did not.

I use SuSE Linux v10.1 with Gimp v2.2.10. Under YAST there are 9
versions of the Canoscan Lide listed. I use an Epson Perfection 2400
PHOTO (also USB) without any problems.

I have a contact who has a Lide scanner which he uses (or used to) under
Linux. I'll ask him how he set it up and will get back to you.