[Lancaster] Re: Linux Operating System

Mark Williams llug at lodestar.icom43.net
Mon Oct 23 00:29:00 BST 2006

Hi Phil,
First, sorry for the delay. I've recently taken over from Martyn as the contact
for Lancaster LUG.

Linux is available as a variety of 'distributions'. Strictly speaking Linux is
just the 'kernel' of the operating system, which is then combined with the
commands and tools from the GNU project. Distributions add their choice of
desktop/GUI (eg Gnome or KDE), customised as desired, plus their own installer,
configuration and system management programs and a range of free software
applications.

A good approach to choosing a first distro to try is to use whichever is used by
the person you will be turning to first for support. Personally I would
recommend Ubuntu Linux (www.ubuntu.com) which has become very well respected,
not to say popular, although you will always find people favouring other
distributions. The current version is 6.06, codenamed Dapper Drake (or just
Dapper), although the next version is due v.soon (but I'd stick to 6.06 for now.
Incidently the next version will be 6.10 indicating 2006 October). Download from
www.ubuntu.com/download. Ubuntu will also post CDs to people for free for those
that don't have fast internet access - see http://shipit.ubuntu.com . Ubuntu
uses the Gnome desktop by default, but there is also a sub-project called
Kubuntu (www.kubuntu.org) that uses the KDE desktop which gives rather more
integration. Another distribution I'd recommend is SuSE www.suse.com . Many
distros also have 'Live CDs' which allow you to run Linux from the cd and so try
the distro out without installing on your disk. Ubuntu and Suse offer this. But
be aware this will be slow at start-up because CDs are slow compared to disks,
and slow to run unless you've got lots of RAM 'cos it'll have to (re-)load from
cd.

Don't try Linux out on a PC with _too_ old a spec; in particular KDE and Gnome
need a decent amount of RAM - 733MHz with 256MB is ok, 384MB better. (There are
other distributions available with even lower hardware requirements, often using
alternative desktops or 'window managers', and Linux can be run without a GUI on
a very old PC - that can wait for now). The installation routines for mainstream
distros allow Linux to be installed alongside an existing Windows installation
in a dual boot set-up (of course, backing up all your data and configuration
info to cd/dvd or another disk beforehand [and having windows (re-)installation
cds] is only sensible,  just in case something during the Linux install, like a
power failure, screws up your existing Windows installation. But, then we always
keep up to date backups don't we ? Ahem). Installing on a spare PC is simpler
and more care-free.

Desktop Linux distros include a wide variety of application programs (cf Windows
where MS Word, Office, etc are expensive extras). Ubuntu, like many other
distros doesn't itself include various proprietary plug-ins, programs,
formats/codecs or drivers, because of commercial licencing, legal or
idealogical/practical (open source = good, proprietary = bad) reasons. Free
software like this is however available, and there are a couple of easy ways to
install them, along with other popular programs and tweaks, ie Automatix
(www.getautomatix.com) and EasyUbuntu (http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/). See
also www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177646 .

A couple of other resources you might find useful are:- LDP, The Linux
Documentation Project www.tldp.org/ and on-line courses (although I haven't
checked them out) at www.linux.org/lessons/ .

I will post your request message to our mailing list. You can view any responses
via the public archive at http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/lancaster/ or you
may wish to subscribe to the list); see
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/lancaster/ . Btw there are also LUGs
in Blackpool, Preston, Manchester/Salford and Liverpool - see www.lug.org.uk .