[Lancaster] Freespire impressions

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Sat Sep 2 19:25:22 BST 2006

On 9/2/06, John Scott <john at raystorm.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> Before you install Ubuntu again, give Mepis a try. I was pleasantly
> surprised at how user friendly and quick it is *Boot and run. Im running
> a P3 850 with 128MB Ram and it runs like a dream. Device support is
> great, the forum is active and the people very helpful and Im not moving
> away from it in the foreseeable future.

Well, this has been an interesting afternoon! Let's call it a learning
experience...

I've installed Mepis. You're right, it's fast. Faster than I've seen
KDE running with any other distribution on a computer as old as mine.
Sadly it was less "boot and run" than it might have been, unless you
mean in terms of mugging my computer.

First, I had to reconfigure xserver to get a decent display. Then I
had to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file to get wifi working -- it
worked, despite the little note in the file telling me I shouldn't do
this in Mepis.

But... It overwrote the boot file, and didn't give me a dual boot
option. So I've had to learn all about grub. Three hours later, I'm
slightly better educated, and can dual boot into Ubuntu or Mepis. I
guess I'd call that a win on a rainy day when there's nothing better
to do...

--
Ken Walton