[Lancaster] Technical question

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Sun Sep 3 18:02:25 BST 2006

Ken Walton wrote:

> If you've been following the list, you'll know I'm giving MEPIS a test
> run at the moment. I have to say, I'm impressed with the speed. Every
> other Linux I've tried which uses KDE has been rather sluggish. This
> one is faster than Ubuntu using GNOME when it comes to opening
> windows, menus etc.
>
> Anyway, what I wanted to know is this. I've got MEPIS on partition
> hda3, and Ubuntu on hda1. If I do "mount /mnt/hda1" I can access the
> Ubuntu partition, but I have to do it manually. What I want to know
> is:
>
> 1) How can I get hda1 to mount automatically in MEPIS

Look at the 'fstab' file under /etc. This has an entry for each of the
mount points. Simply add an entry for /dev/hda1. I can't remember
details of the other parameters, but I'm sure that you will be able to
figure them out from existing entries.
You might want to create a specific mount point for Ubuntu on the root
path (maybe call it /ubuntu)
Be carefull when editing this file. It's crucial to proper operation of
the system. BACK IT UP BEFORE TRYING TO CHANGE IT!

> 2) Can I connect the home directory of hda1 to the filesystem in the
> home directory of MEPIS, so I don't have to wander quite so far to get
> to my documents?

Yes, but unless done at boot time, mounting has to be done as 'root'.
Also, you might have problems with access privilages. 'user1' under
MEPIS might not (probably not) correspond with 'user1' on the Ubuntu
partition. I'll be happy to be corrected on this one if someone alse
knows better.

Once the Ubuntu partition is mounted (say under /ubuntu via 'fstab' ),
you could create a soft link in your home directory to reach it. Try 'ln
-s /ubuntu ubuntu'

Good luck