[Lancaster] Techie question

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Wed Sep 13 12:12:01 BST 2006

Hi folks,

Here's a techie question for you. It's not causing me *much* trouble, but
I'd like to know why it's happening!

My PC has two drives; an internal DVD-ROM drive, and an external (USB)
DVD-RW drive. If I set up my software to play a CD or DVD automatically when
a disk is inserted, they work fine with the DVD-ROM drive. But if I try to
start a CD or DVD that's already in the drive, the software can't find it.
Some experimentation has proved that the software can't find /mnt/cdrom or
/mnt/dvd, but if I change the default place for CDs and DVDs in the player
software to /mnt/hdd it works fine! This is true of both MEPIS and Ubuntu.
I'm wondering if it's a software problem or a hardware problem.

--
Ken Walton