[Lancaster] Fw: Linux-refurbished Laptops for Nepal Appeal![follow-up] [was lugmaster]

Mark Williams llug at lodestar.icom43.net
Wed Feb 14 22:31:49 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:28:07 +0000
From: "Richard Smedley" <smedley358 at btinternet.com>
To: <lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Cc: <thesouk at uwclub.net>; <staffslug at staffslug.org.uk>;
<northwales at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [lugmaster] Fw: Re: Linux-refurbished Laptops for Nepal
Appeal![follow-up]

Hello all,

There were a number of points raised in question over the
charitable actions of a small shop in Mid-Wales, who asked
for GNU/Linux Laptops, to send to a school in Nepal.

Particular objections came from people who considered all
foreigners dishonest, or only needing pencils, but there
were also many reasonable and valid concerns, so I asked
the original poster, and the shop-owner, to answer some
of these points - to address the considerable fears that
the campaign seemed to raise for people.

Alan Hill, of the Souk in Llangollen, has below addressed most
of the points brought up on some of the lists - I suggest anyone
with further questions CCs him in your list reply, or reply
directly to him off-list, as appropriate.

I have removed from his mail a binary attachment containing
a copy of a hand-written letter from the school's headmaster
asking for various items, with computers at the top of
the list.

 - Richard

Begin forwarded message: