[Lancaster] Microsoft Getting Paid for Patents in Linux?

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Wed May 2 20:22:21 BST 2007

Ken Hough wrote:
> I've just seen this article:
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/11/1443211
>
> As a long time and very satisfied user of SuSE (now under Novell), this
> upsets me. How can the Linux fraternity best respond?

Hi Ken,

I think that there are a few avenues open to us as users:

1) Stop using distributions known to have done deals - this sends a
message that we really won't tolerate this kind of behaviour.

2) If you are using one of the know offenders and have paid for it,
complain.

3) Fight against software patents. No patents, no problem. If we can
minimise there spread it might even cause America to rethink it's
policies since it will be placing them at a competitive disadvantage
globally (well, it's wishful thinking, but not impossible).

4) Help spread free software. The wider it's adopted the less windows is
being used. This has the effect of lowering there income (and therefore
potential R&D) and will increase the development and R&D that companies
and individuals will pour into FLOSS. This, in the long term, will mean
more technologies will appear in Linux and other open source software
first, thereby either stopping patents being granted (prior art) or
possibly providing patents for cross licensing.

Martyn