[Lancaster] kppp not workign

max* max at tofubandits.org.uk
Thu Nov 8 12:40:12 GMT 2007

hi all

got a brand new installation of Etch (new Debian), everything hunky-dory until
I try to get kppp working. kppp is a nice front end to connect to the
internet with an old fashioned dialup modem.

first of all i had to set the SUID bit on the kppp binary, (not very impressed
that i had to do that, but it was easily done...) then i checked the modem
was there and recognised using wvdial - yep, there it is at /dev/ttyS0

But kppp refuses to see it. when i select /dev/ttyS0 it tells me modem not
found. have tried all the other likely /dev/* in the drop down box, but no
joy.

does any one have any ideas of how to get kppp to recognise by lovely, working
dialup modem?

max