[Lancaster] distro for audio / music stuff

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 13:27:27 UTC 2008

andy baxter wrote:

>> Can anyone recommend a good distro for doing simple music recording /
>> editing / etc? I use ubuntu for everything else, but I've just spent a
>> fair bit of money on a new external firewire sound card with 2 inputs
>> and outputs, and then found various annoying bugs in the programs I'm
>> using (jackd, ardour, and zynaddsubfx so far), which is making me think
>> that the ubuntu people don't really have audio work as their main
>> priority when keeping packages up to date. I could use 'planet CCRMA'
>> (http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/), but this is fedora
>> based I would rather use something debian based.
>>

> I'm just trying out 64studio ( 64studio.com ). It seems to be very
> closely based on debian (it uses all debian repositories unless you want
> bleeding edge stuff which they have their own repository for).
P.S. I just realised what I said here isn't quite right. They do have
their own stable repositories for multimedia apps, but keep them
compatible enough with debian etch (stable) that you can put that in
/etc/apt/sources.list as well.

Still really impressed with this distro - been playing about recording a
guitar and drum track using ardour, and so far I haven't had a single
xrun. (xruns are what happens when a bit of audio data gets lost because
the software can't keep up with the hardware).

andy