[Lancaster] Download of latest version of SUSE Linux

mp mp at aktivix.org
Sat Dec 20 12:47:05 UTC 2008

andy baxter wrote:
> Ken Hough wrote:
>> Overnight, I managed to download DVD image for latest version (released
>> yesterday!) of 64bit SUSE v11.1. Did this via bittorrent, so hopefully helped
>> the cause somewhat.
>>
>> Have now installed same in place of SUSE v11.0 without problems and am running
>> it right now to send this message. I keep a separate /home directory that I
>> don't re-format, so I'm up and running much as before.
>>
>> So far it looks good! A LOT better than the pre-release version that I tried!
>> On the basis of previous recent experience with SUSE, I didn't really expect
>> anything less than good.
>>
>> The options for desktops are: Gnome, KDE4.1, and others. For conservative
>> types like me, KDE3.5 is still offered under 'others'.
>>
>> By accepting default settings, installation will give something like an Ubuntu
>> system where things are made as simple as possible for newbies. eg user
>> password is used for 'root' access and the default user is logged in
>> automatically. Unlike Ubuntu, these default settings and also many others can
>> be easily changed (by unticking boxes) to suit individual preferences. This
>> format is much like that of v11.0, but has been tidied up.
>>
>> I guess that this large number of options might be confusing for some newbies
>> should they decide to explore them.
>>
>> There is a slight change in the way the partitioner works/looks under the
>> manual setting, but once figured out, this works well.
>>
>> I'll post a review when I've had some time to explore.
>>

> Thanks for the update. I'll maybe have a look at SuSE some day, though
> I'm put off by the prospect of having to relearn a lot of debian-based
> skills.

I am put off by the deals that Novell has been striking with Microsoft
and which is part of the general FUD and war on Free Software that
Microsoft is leading. Novell is an enemy of Free Software - SuSE is
their extension into the community to change it from within. Don't use it.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/11/07/perens_on_ms_novell/
http://boycottnovell.com/2008/03/19/perens-for-osi-board/