[Lancaster] Download of latest version of SUSE Linux

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 20 18:51:19 UTC 2008

On Saturday 20 December 2008 12:46:04 mp wrote:
> andy baxter wrote:
> > Ken Hough wrote:
> >> Overnight, I managed to download DVD image for latest version (released
> >> yesterday!) of 64bit SUSE v11.1. Did this via bittorrent, so hopefully
> >> helped the cause somewhat.
> >>
> >> Have now installed same in place of SUSE v11.0 without problems and am
> >> running it right now to send this message. I keep a separate /home
> >> directory that I don't re-format, so I'm up and running much as before.
> >>
> >> So far it looks good! A LOT better than the pre-release version that I
> >> tried! On the basis of previous recent experience with SUSE, I didn't
> >> really expect anything less than good.
> >>
> >> The options for desktops are: Gnome, KDE4.1, and others. For
> >> conservative types like me, KDE3.5 is still offered under 'others'.
> >>
> >> By accepting default settings, installation will give something like an
> >> Ubuntu system where things are made as simple as possible for newbies.
> >> eg user password is used for 'root' access and the default user is
> >> logged in automatically. Unlike Ubuntu, these default settings and also
> >> many others can be easily changed (by unticking boxes) to suit
> >> individual preferences. This format is much like that of v11.0, but has
> >> been tidied up.
> >>
> >> I guess that this large number of options might be confusing for some
> >> newbies should they decide to explore them.
> >>
> >> There is a slight change in the way the partitioner works/looks under
> >> the manual setting, but once figured out, this works well.
> >>
> >> I'll post a review when I've had some time to explore.
> >
> > Thanks for the update. I'll maybe have a look at SuSE some day, though
> > I'm put off by the prospect of having to relearn a lot of debian-based
> > skills.
>
> I am put off by the deals that Novell has been striking with Microsoft
> and which is part of the general FUD and war on Free Software that
> Microsoft is leading. Novell is an enemy of Free Software - SuSE is
> their extension into the community to change it from within. Don't use it.

IMHO: Rubbish!

As a long time user of SuSE (that's SuSE with the original small 'u'), that
was my initial fear when Novell and Microsoft appeared to be cosying up to
each other. Subsequent events have eased my concerns. If anything, it seems
to me to be doing good. Microsoft have been forced to recognise and accept
that they can't kill open source/free software. That particular horse bolted
to freedom a while back.

Some would claim that in the light of the Vista fiasco and other shenanigans,
unless Microsoft get themselves sorted out and at last produce a decent
operating system, they will at risk of becoming a declining force.

The only way that the Microsoft FUD can work is if users remain ignorant and
actually believe the old Microsoft propaganda. In the light of the
Microsoft/Novell link, it's hardly credible for Microsoft to continue
referring to Linux as a 'cancer', etc.

Seeing Linux running and supported alongside MS Windows (and typically
performing better than the latter) might even result in conversions to Linux.
I don't believe that Linux has anything to be worried about in this context.

SUSE and Red Hat are doing a lot for the likes of us. They are actively and
financially supporting open versions of their main/enterprise level distros.
Yes, they get a lot of benefits, but so do we. Both openSUSE and Fedora are
excellent distros which allow us to run the latest versions of software.
Because of this support, a lot of businesses, enterprises and individuals are
being exposed to Linux who otherwise wouldn't be. Now surely, that can't be
bad!

Contrary to your instruction, I will continue to use SUSE, and continue to do
my best to spread the good word about Linux (and SUSE   :-) ). Do yourself a
favour and try it!

Ken Hough