[Lancaster] Download of latest version of SUSE Linux

mp mp at aktivix.org
Tue Dec 23 10:34:13 UTC 2008

Ken Hough wrote:

> The recent spate of 'netbook' computers running Linux is perhaps the best
> advertising so far for Linux. The fact that Microsoft have been forced to
> respond by allowing XP to continue to be used on such machines is IMHO, bound
> to make Joe Bloggs think a bit and perhaps begin to see that the Microsoft
> line is rubbish!.

I wouldn't be too sure about this. There are reports - googleable - that
the most common reason for these machines being returned is - yes, you
guessed it: the software. However, this could be also be FUD, but that
just goes to show that FUD can always be injected into almost any
otherwise seeming success story. Also, the public, the social
imagination, is not simply an aggregation of rational individuals -
culture is profoundly more complex than that, meaning that you cannot
rely - solely - on extrapolating your own technologically understanding
and rationally analysing experience into society. More complex forces
are at play and that is where FUD unfolds.

The struggle for freedom is a struggle of and for principles. Novell is
on the other team.

I reject that team.

merry winter solstice,
mp