[Lancaster] hotwire

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 24 19:07:11 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 09:31, andy baxter wrote:
> has anyone else seen this?
> http://hotwire-shell.org/

> it's a kind of hybrid between a shell and a gui environment designed for
> sysadmin work. You can type commands in the command line, but the
> results appear in a gui window above as clickable objects. E.g. 'ls'
> brings up a list of file names you can click on. Many other
> possibilities as it's all written in python so any python command can be
> used in your shell commands.

Yes, I've been looking at it [1] - it pipes object instances
instead of bytes of data, just like working at a Smalltalk
interface. Who says Xerox PARC's ideas are dead? ;-)

I'm not sure it will ever displace either MC or Emacs as
operating environments for me, but it's got some great
ideas, and development still seems quite rapid. btw, while
we're recommending software, anyone looked at:
http://futureboy.us/frinkdocs/
 - a conversion utility built for the real world, with its
own OO language, plus Java integration.

 - Richard

[1] See Linux Format #105

--