[Lancaster] LUG meeting on coming Wednesday, 5th Nov 2008

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 3 15:31:11 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 12:52:54 you wrote:
> Ken,
>
> > Does anyone by any chance have an old ATX box with power supply that they
> > don't want? I have enough other bits incl a mobo to make up a spare PC. I
> > do have a processor, but this is rather slow, so if anyone has a spare
> > and reasonably quick Pentium or AMD K6II, that would help.
>
> I'm pretty sure I do have at least one lying around that's just a box
> and PSU, but I'll have to double check it still has it's PSU... :-)
> I'm in a clearing-out process at the minute anyway, so you're more than
> welcome to it although, as hinted at earlier, I don't know when I could
> get it to you as I'll be absent from the LUG Meet this week. I probably
> have another box that has a Mobo / CPU in it as well, but I'll have to
> rummage through the loft to confirm that.

Thanks. That would be good, but there's no rush.

> > So far, I have to admit to being impressed. Unlike earlier versions of
> > Debian, v5 wasn't the expected pain in the tail to set up.
>
> I haven't played with v5 yet, but I have to admit to finding the same
> the last time I tried v4.

Well, I'm running on the new PC and Debian 5 just now, so things seem to be
going well  --  so far! My son used to say that if you are a pessimist, you
won't be disappointed.   :-)

> > Firstly, I tried the graphical installation. Compared with other recent
> > distros, I found this to be relatively primitive. Anyway, I cocked up
> > this attempt. My own fault! So I had another go using the non-graphical
> > installation. This went well so I now have a dual booting Debian 5/WinXP
> > system. Don't worry! Linux will still be my OS of choice.
>
> Yeh, I still haven't tried a GUI installation of Debian but, saying
> that, I never really found the text installer to be quite as bad as it
> was made out to be.

The text installer is actually quite slick when you get used to it.  It seems
to me that if a GUI is presnted, then it should be a worthwhile effort. eg
like that of SUSE and the other main stream distros.

> > So far everything seems to work well under Debian 5. I've got my mail
> > stuff transfered across from my Athlon work horse and working. I haven't
> > yet tried to set up my Analogue/Digital TV/FM radio card, but everything
> > else was recognised and configured without any input from me. A great
> > improvement on earlier versions of Debian that I've tried.
>
> /signed.
>
> > I've installed Open Office v3. This installed alongside v2 so I can run
> > either. Open Office v3.0 seems to be very good and looked to be much more
> > polished than v2.
>
> Hmmm, I need to get OO.o 3...
>
> > Provided that I don't find too many serious wobblies in Debian 5, I might
> > stay with it. A lot better than Ubuntu!!!
>
> I'd agree with this, although saying that I'm still on Ubuntu for my
> work laptop - mainly because I'm lazy... :)
>
> Best,
>
> Dave

Have a good holiday!

What am I saying? A job, a laptop, AND a holiday? A cushy number!

Regards

Ken hough