[Lancaster] Meeting 5th November

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 16:10:32 UTC 2008

No worries ken i see dave cant be here either ill still turn up just after
eight oclock incase anyone turns up!!   lee said he might be coming.. and
havent heard from andy for a while...

I had problems with java but used the instrucions on my blog  on multiple
machines java worked fine from iceweasel  they need to fix java plugin!! quick!

I used virtualbox 2 on my debian boxes i just downloaded and installed the deb
- i also made sure i removed my old version first and rebooted to get rid of
any modules and network binds etc. The virtual box 2 installed then when i
started the service it built a module for me and told me to add myself to the
vboxgroup and that was it!  im not sure a bout usb though i never tested it...

For a kde desktop version of debain you have to just download the kde install
not the standard gnome install a bit like ubuntu / kubuntu - if you get the
kde installer you get a full kde desktop setup save all the faffing around!

The last time i did a kde text install it asked me the general questions at
the start of the install and at the end asked me if i want to write the grub
changes then reboots? cant recall it asking anything else!
kubuntu asks about 5 questions during a install which was pretty neat!
I seem to remember xp stopping on the install for me to click a ok button for
no reason what so ever!!

Sounds like your at home with suse ken - its funny how some people cant adapt
to didnt flavours of linux rather than others!  i was a red hat guy for over 5
years now i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole as im more used to the debian
way now!! so i use kubuntu / debain boxes
Whats similiar to suse/novell - fedora im not sure?.. have you ever tried
mandrake or what ever its called now! i can remember it being pretty easy to
configure and similiar to suse..

Wayne