[Lancaster] Website

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 16:49:21 UTC 2008

Ken Hough wrote:
> On Saturday 22 November 2008 14:39:50 andy baxter wrote:
>

>> Which is why I had the word Linux in huge type. I'm saying that just
>> having the row of icons at the top will attract attention in itself -
>>

> If I'm walking past a poster, it isn't the small fuzzy detail that will grab
> my attention. It's likely to be something that is clear, simple, and which
> stands out, otherwise I will have moved on!

Not sure, but again I think the word Linux by itself will get peoples'
attention if they already have heard of it, and if not then I'm not sure
a giant Tux would be much better.

>> people might be curious enough to want to look at them and then find
>> themselves reading the poster. I guess it comes down to personal
>> preference - I like the way I've done it but I can see the point you're
>> arguing as well.
>>

> I guess that we must agree to differ.

Fair enough.

> Yes, it looks good when close up, but would it grab your attention when you
> are passing by?

Again not sure - just like the look of what I've done and would like to
stick with the basic design even if we change the wording a bit.
>> OK - fair enough. I was thinking that the way you had described the user
>> benefits was more straightforward and maybe more friendly than mine, so
>> it might be worth changing what I had written a bit.
>>

> Can we get some input from other LUGgers?  Um! Just to be clear, that word
> begins with 'L'.   :-)

I'd like to know what others in the group think as well. Another thing
that crossed my mind is whether the wording should say more about the
group and what it does - e.g. having occasional demos as well as pub meets?

Also, before the posters go up, it would be good to have some stuff on
the website that people can read to find out more about Linux and about
the LUG.

andy