[Lancaster] Website

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 11:32:25 UTC 2008

Ken Hough wrote:

> These days, most of the computer magazines include articles, readers letters
> and other references relating to Linux. It seems likely to me that anyone who
> is interested in using computers to the extent that they might consider using
> Linux is also likely to read some of these magazines. ie they will at least
> have heard of Linux and will have seen TUX a number of times.
>
> TUX is about Linux.
>
> Debian, Mandriva, SUSE, etc logos are about the various distros.

OK, fair enough, but then there is the word Linux in about 1000 point
type right across the page, which should catch peoples eyes, and I still
like the idea of having multiple logos to convey the idea that it's not
a single monolithic system.

> I guess that it depends on what you expect of a poster and where it will be
> located. If it is to 'grab' the attention of passers by, then it has to do
> that from a distance of maybe a few metres or so. Your eyesight is probably
> much better than mine, but I doubt that you would be able to comprehend or
> even notice small detail at such distances.

Well I would probably notice that there was a row of colourful icons at
the top and bottom, even if I didn't see what they were, so this should
be enough to attract some attention and make me look closer. And there
are tuxes in both top corners, so people would notice that as well if
they looked. The kind of place I was thinking of is the message boards
in the Gregson pub, which are in the hallway as you walk in.

I'm not sure what else to say - it's obvious we're not going to agree on
this. It probably doesn't matter so much, as either design would work I
think; it's just that I put about 2-3 hours work into doing the poster
and would like to see it used.

It would be really good to get some views from other members of the group.

regards,

andy