[Lancaster] Website

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 00:55:38 UTC 2008

Well worded dave!
Sounds about right - yes i agree with you good to see the emails flying
about! - although im still not certain if i can put the last flyer andy
sent out if we can make a decision - even if they need work still i was
wanting to get a couple up in places were i know people will be
interested in the meetings and not to worried about the looks of the
poster etc..  and i an change it when we get the final product :-)

 anyway..

how you doing anyway dave was the holiday good.

How you finding the openmoko
The google phone is real cool but the battery can be a pain in the
backside! Plenty of good apps available and im getting around 2 or 3
apps available each day. Ive also found copy and paste which we couldnt
find on the iphone at the last meeting. Ive disabled gps and wireless
networks and decreased screen brightness and screen light timeout to 30
seconds to hopefully get a full day out of the phone which is a bit
disappointing. I seems t be something to do with t mobiles reception -
if i sit and work in my front room all day it seems to last the whole
day and in the front room were i get good reception - in the office
which is the back off the house and has a poor reception infact it
hardly works in there its seems to last just under a day which is a pain
really. Its still early days yet so could be a firmware version that
fixes it or a better battery might come to light.. until then disable
all the features i bought the phone for :-0

Has anyone tried ubuntu studio 8.10 - i was going to install as i cant
get realtime kernel and raw1394 working on ubuntu 8.10 - But when i went
to download on the bottom of the page it says no realtime kernel support
till the .1 version!!

Strange i dont know a version of 64 bit linux with realtime with up2date
packages! 64studio is awesome but has old packages old kernel etc -
ubuntu studio all the latest packages and kernel but no realtime
kernel!!
Other options JAD which is based on suse and only 32 bit versions
available and gentoo which takes ages to install and configure
so im going to wait till ubuntu studio 8.10 +1 i think or might try
64studio version 3 again debian is solid but the packages are just old
unless you run sid and then your on the real bleeding edge?!

I must say im happy with ubuntu intrepid its solid lots of good support
available - decent packages available - a update notifier something
which i havent had for a few years on debian - effects worked out of the
box with one monitor but desktop effects wont work with my dual monitor
config and as mentioned no RT and raw1394 - evolution now connects to
google services and seems very slick! I also tried a older RT kernel
from the repositories and added the rlimits settings but still got no
realtime.

anyone got any other suggestions for multimedia distro i have a wish
list!!..

gnome 2.24.1 or newer
update notifier
evolution 2.24.1.1
network manager (handy for laptop)
firefox 3
rt-kernel
raw134 module that works!

On another subject im getting a new toy the acer one this week ill bring
it to the next meeting - you can pick them up for like £170 now and it
has a higher resolution than the 701 and its cheaper than the 901. The
quality looked good from what ive seen so far unless anyone knows any
different..

Regards
wayne :-)