[Lancaster] OpenMoko F(r)U(stratio)N

Dave Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 22:34:56 UTC 2008

Wayne Ward wrote:
> how you doing anyway dave was the holiday good.

Great fun cheers - just wish I'd had a few days longer and taken more
pictures. Ah well, next time!

> How you finding the openmoko

It's... interesting.

Yeh. Interesting... :)

The sad truth is that, so far, I've really not played with it all that
much. I was ill the first few days after it arrived and was in no mood
to bash my head against it so I didn't try.

Then I needed to backup my SIM card contacts before risking having the
OM lose them all (Note: It didn't. It didn't like some of the formatting
for the longer names but, fundamentally, it got all my contacts off the
SIM no problem).

Then I finally plucked up the courage to stick the card in the OM and
give it a run for it's money... :)

As to the system itself, all models at present ship with the original OM
Disto release of 2007.8 (I think...), so it's a little bit out of date
but fundamentally seems to work at a very very basic level. I believe
the key principle when releasing that first model was that it should
show the features the phone can be capable of in time and generally
dress it up all nice - it achieves that goal. The bootup graphics are
very nicely polished (better than the latest version, IMO) and the
interface showed plenty of promise, if little scalability.

Having had a read around and asked a few people who I knew already I had
one, I flashed that version up to 2008.9 (so the latest OM Kernel
version) and then went straight ahead into install "Fat and Dirty
OpenMoko" (FDOM - http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FDOM) again, based on
recommendations.
FDOM doesn't lie. It is fat, and it is dirty. To put it simply, it seems
at present that FDOM is the 'official' OpenMoko distro (hence why it
uses the same kernel) pre-packaged with a variety of the available
software for the platform in order to be feature-rich and -capable for
the end user. As such it has a couple of the most popular Wifi managers
on there; a combination (it seems) of the settings managers; 2 web
browsers (1 Mozilla-based, and Dillo); TangoGPS to prove the GPS module
works; a bunch of games (including DukeNukem); some little gimmicky apps
to show the motion sensor capabilities off; a VOIP phone interface
(LinPhone); a limited night-sky viewer (think Celestia, but small);
music and video players; flash player, pdf reader, and image viewer;
and, of course, the dialer and SMS Messaging stuff. To say it's busy
would be a huge understatement.

And, to be honest, there is simply too much stuff in there for it to be
usable (IMHO) as it is. But I think that was the point. It provides an
alternative for those people (like me) who really don't know which apps
to try first when starting nearly from scratch with the vanilla OpenMoko
distribution.
Of course, some things don't work correctly / brilliantly / at all
(mainly games, it seems). Some things run slowly (it's pretty much
rammed full of applications, so that's understandable) and other things
are still being massively worked on, but it gives a good idea as to what
the unit is ultimately capable of. And it's impressive.

Interface-wise, I actually quite like a lot of its features. It's very
easy to change from app-to-app whilst leaving the previous one open and
easily accessible should you want to flip back to it.
The QWERTY keyboard option is really very usable provided you use a
stylus (provided in the box) and, for the other keypad options the
spacing is generally good enough that it can also get by using just
fingertips.

The sensitivity of the touch screen can be adjusted in the settings
(again, I'm not sure yet if this is due to one of the many applications
FDOM includes) which is a pretty handy feature.

Battery life. Well, it's not great, but then I went into getting the
phone expecting as much. It's also very relative. Of course, if you've
got the GPS constantly trying to lock, the Wifi connected, and you're
making lots and lots of calls, then it will die quickly. On minimal use
(except application playing - I call it 'testing'... ;) ) I've managed
just about a day on it so far, although my suspicion is that when I calm
down from wanting to try something else every 5 minutes that will get a
litle bit better. Battery life in general is something the developers
seem very keen to be working on, so I suspect this will be a prominent
feature for future patches.
The charge rate isn't bad at all, easily comparable to other phones out
there (a couple of hours maybe from nearly empty) and is able to be
charged either from a wall socket or via USB (it uses the 'standard'
slim USB connector, a la PS3 and I suspect a few other modern phones - I
know my Motorola used to use the same).
As for the batteries themselves - they use the same format as many
common Nokia batteries - so replacements are easy to come by!

Most importantly - it's use as a phone. Again, having only used it
today, I haven't had chance to test it properly. The limited phone calls
I've had have been blighted by reception problems at both ends related
to signal, so it's not really a fair test - if the GSM modules are to be
believed, then it detects signal strength just as well as my previous
phones, and I've had no problems at all sending and receiving SMS' - I'm
optimistic, shall we say!

And, I think, that just about covers it so far. I have yet to really
play with it on a network and therefore test out it's package-management
capabilities, but hopefully I'll try that soon!
Apologies that this is rushed in parts - it was intended to be a quick
update as to how I've found it so far, but I realize it comes across
more as me reiterating what it can do and not a lot about what it
actually does - I'll try and beat it around a bit more the next few days
and, of course, I'll bring it down to the Brit next week.

Best,

Dave