[Lancaster] idea for regular computer evening at the Basement

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 17:52:37 UTC 2008

hello all,

I've been thinking about an idea which is to have a regular evening at
the Basement under Single Step where people could come along and use the
computers there in company. This could mean anything from web browsing
to writing their own web sites to full on programming, and the idea
would be that by having an evening like this people would be able to
share skills and ideas, help each other out with stuff, and also just be
good company. I'm thinking that there must be a lot of people out there
working on stuff by themselves who would appreciate the opportunity to
meet others with similar interests. Also that from the people I've
talked to so far there are quite a few people who would like to spend
more time on their own projects but either have trouble finding the time
or maybe don't know where to start, so this could be a good
encouragement to get started on things.

I was thinking to make this a bit broader than the Linux group but still
to have it based around free software - maybe have Linux installed on
the machines down there and show anyone who needs to know how to use it,
and if someone really wants to work on a Windows or Mac based project
then they should bring their own laptop?

I think this has been talked about in the past and one of the obstacles
has always been paying for broadband access. But the prices are much
cheaper nowadays (e.g. plusnet have a low bandwidth deal for £9.99 a
month), and you can also get short term contracts, so I was thinking
that I wouldn't mind paying for this (for a few months at least) out of
my own pocket just to kick things off and see if there is the interest.
(But have a donations jar for people to contribute as well). There may
also be the option of piggybacking on an existing wireless connection if
we're lucky (e.g. if the Lancaster mesh has a node near single step.)

My idea was to do this one evening every week - e.g. Thursday evenings
7-11. Again I wouldn't mind committing to going down one evening a week
for a few months to start things off, though if anyone else wanted to
help with this it would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested, also have a look at Access Space's website -
they are an open access linux lab in Sheffield who have been running
since 2000 using only recycled hardware and free software.
http://www.access-space.org/?c=overview
We could maybe organise a visit there some time to talk to them and get
some advice about how to get started?

What do people think?

andy