[Lancaster] idea for regular computer evening at the Basement

mp mp at aktivix.org
Tue Oct 21 05:26:35 UTC 2008

basement sounds like a great idea!

with regards to licenses, hmm, be careful?

Wayne Ward wrote:
> Ah yes its a bloody con really you should be able to have the licence

An OEM license is not the same as a retailed "stand-alone" version of a
product from Microsoft and different EULAs apply to the different
commodities. If you didn't have extreme limitations on your OEM Windows,
your PC would have cost something like another 50 squid.

> Usually they have a sticker on the box i just sell them thats the licence!

Licenses range from total limitations (from:
http://www.technibble.com/windows-xp-home-license-agreement-translated/ ):

"10. NOT FOR RESALE SOFTWARE. Software identified as “Not For Resale” or
“NFR,” may not be sold or otherwise transferred for value, or used for
any purpose other than demonstration, test or evaluation."

and:

"1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run
one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation,
terminal or other device (”Workstation Computer”). The Software may not
be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single
Workstation Computer."

... to minor limitations, - even if you have actually bought (??) a
real, full Win XP CD with license and all, by itself, in a shop, like
you'd by any other thing, there are still limitations to what you are
_legally_ allowed to do
(from:http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#8 ):

=====
""Selling/Transferring License Ownership"

The selling or transfer of  license ownership on previously activated XP
OS is limited to retail versions only. OEM versions are restricted to
the original computer it is installed and sale or transfer must include
the computer.

If you are selling the copy of XP you removed, you will need to sell
with all manuals, documentation, etc. that was originally supplied. You
should also include a receipt stating you sold the copy of XP in
compliance with the EULA.  Steps 2 thru 4 (from FAQ#6) should also be
explained to the buyer. It is not necessary for the buyer to explain
anything during the phone call activation; other than it was removed in
compliance with the EULA and installed on a new computer. Activation is
anonymous and supplying information other than what is required will
often delay the activation until documentation is faxed or  snail mail
verifying the transfer was in compliance with the XP EULA. If prompted
to supply information other than the previously stated requirement, ask
to speak to a supervisor; if you are in compliance; state that you need
your new install of XP on upgraded hardware activated and you meet the
required terms of the EULA agreement.

There is no requirement you must state you are a new owner of a
previously activated XP.""
=====

This also goes for corporations that change structures through mergers
and other forms of reorganisation:
http://www.microsoft.com/hk/licensing/faq/faqVolLicensing.mspx#q7

Funnily, if you want to read the EULA for Win XP Home Edition you are
met with:

"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found. See below for
search results close to your request, or try a new search.":
http://www.microsoft.com/err/windowsxp/eula/home

The original draconian measures of the Vista EULA, far beyond the above,
have been revised by Micro$oft - allegedly due to concerns about the PC
hobbyists (recall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists
) (from: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061102-8140.html ):

"Furthermore, Microsoft has clarified the licenses with regards to
re-installation. "You may uninstall the software and install it on
another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license
between devices," the license reads.

Additionally, Microsoft clarified transfer rights to other users. You
can transfer your license of Windows Vista to another user provided that
you uninstall the original copy and do not keep any of the materials
from the original installation."

anyway -------- not exactly a big market place, unless you are a
software license lawyer, of course.

> got �20 for a XP licence the other day!!!

Poor him or her! :)