[Lancaster] PC virtualisation

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 27 14:50:35 UTC 2008

Since Martyn's and Richards comments about software for virtualisation, I've
been doing some digging (sorry, research :-) )

To begin with I installed VirtualBox under 64 bit SuSE Linux v11.0. I got
Mythubuntu installed from a DVD, but not working all of my hardware, and Win
XP installed, again not with all of my hardware. eg, I haven't yet got USB
working. I need to spend some more time on this.

I did test out what Richard stated wrt 64 bit virtualisation not being
included and as expected, the system blew a rasberry and stated clearly that
I couldn't run a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit (virtual) machine.

SUSE Linux includes Xen. Martyn suggested that Xen is more suited to server
operation. It does have an advantage in that that as of v3.0, 64 bit
operation is supported.

The site at: <http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq> states that:

"The paravirtualized approach we use to get such high performance has not been
usable directly for Windows to date. However Xen 3.0 added Intel VT-x support
to enable the running of unmodified guest operating systems, including
Windows XP & 2003 Server, using hardware virtualization technology. Xen 3.0.2
and later support AMD Pacifica technology as well. Check to see if your CPU
is among the list of HVM Compatible Processors, and if your motherboard is
among the list of HVM Compatible Motherboards."

and

"Xen currently runs only on the x86 architecture, requiring a "P6" or newer
processor (that's any Intel or AMD x86 CPU purchased in the last five years).
Multiprocessor machines are supported, including basic support for
Hyper-Threading (SMT). Support for x86/64 is available since Xen 3.0. In
addition a port to the IA64 architecture is approaching completion. We hope
to add other architectures such as PPC and ARM in due course."

From a brief look at some of the Xen documentation, I guess that Xen would be
more complicated to set up than say VirtualBox, but the possibilities seem to
be greater for Xen.

Ken hough