[Lancaster] The answer will be no!

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 28 14:29:42 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 12:49:05 andy baxter wrote:
> Rik Boland wrote:
> > This may sound stupid and the answer will be no but just in case.
> >
> > If I get a tower box, could I then use my laptop as it's monitor and
> > keyboard but use the box processing power?
>
> The answer is yes in fact - you can use the laptop as an 'X terminal'.
> I.e. the tower box runs the programs but it sends information about
> what's on the screen to the laptop over the network. Someone else might
> be able to give you a bit more info if you want to try this.
>
> andy

I agree with Andy.

A while back, I was pleasantly surprised when I got an old 486 box to run as
an X terminal to an Athlon 2200XP. Connection was via 10mb ethernet. It felt
like I was working directly on the Athlon box.

No doubt Andy will remember that back when the LUG was based at the Folly we
had a LAN which used one PC seringe several low spec X terminal boxes.

You can find a mini-howto at:
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDM-Xterm/>
This document is a few years old, but should give you a start.

If you Google "Howto X Terminal", other links will come up.

Good luck