[Lancaster] remote desktop / xdmcp problem

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 16:21:08 UTC 2009

Re-sending as the original hasn't got to the list yet...

Wayne Ward wrote:
> hi andy hows the performance of the new small factor box you bought?..
> have you thought of how you are going to setup the test web server yet
> IE chroot or in a virtual machine ...

It uses about 40-50% CPU playing a dvd from a usb drive in mplayer. Not
sure if it's using the hardware acceleration on the graphics chipset.
The CPU is 1.2Ghz single core, and I have 1Gb of RAM. Seems pretty good
so far.

What I would like to do is run the net-exposed server stuff in some kind
of virtual machine, then write a script which monitors the filesystem
the VM is running on to look for any signs of a break in. (Using aide,
chkrootkit, etc. ). I don't know much about virtualisation, so any
advice would be appreciated here. I was thinking user-mode linux might
be good for this, but not sure yet. The idea is to keep the monitoring
program one level above the stuff it's monitoring, to make sure it's not
the first thing that gets compromised if someone cracks the machine.

any thoughts?

andy