[Lancaster] Wine, Laptop and Wayne.

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 21 13:39:09 UTC 2009

Hi Ryk,

I use 'wine' to run several Windohs progs.

I assume that you installed 'wine' via your OSes installation manager, so all
should be ready to go.

Try entering 'winecfg'. It might take a while to run up, but you should be
presented with a window giving you various options for setting up 'wine'. To
begin with just accept the default settings then terminate 'winecfg'.

Then to install MS Windows progs, fire up a terminal window and from the
directory which holds thw MS prog enter 'wine <NAME OF WINDOWS INSTALL
PROG>'.

Not all MS progs will run under 'wine', but if all is well, the installer
should run without error with the prog being installed below
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

Notes:

1. The hidden directory for wine (ie .wine)

2. Desktop links created by the installer probably won't work under Linux.

To run the prog for the first time change into the directory given above, then
look for the subdirectory holding the prog that you have just installed, then
change into this subdirectory and look for the program .exe file.

Then enter 'wine './NAME_OF_PROG.exe'.

If this works OK, you will want to create a friendly (Linux) desktop link to
do the job.

Good luck

Ken hough