[Lancaster] meeting plans

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 15:43:51 UTC 2009

Hi guys just made a few changes on the lug website :)

http://www.lancasterlug.org.uk/

anyone else want to add profile information for themselves?..

Now im just looking at scheduling up the meetings for the new year and
thought it might be a idea
to do some installs on various distros either on a spare laptop or in a
virtual machine
with some distros we might get two installs  night or if everyone things
its better we can stick to one a monthThen i was thinking of starting with
some standard desktop installations so everybody can get a look at other
versions of linux available and some of the great features offered by other
distros. Then after a few desktop installs maybe look at some headless
server installs with various services http / ftp etc..
Now we have some distros to pick out here some i have in mind are

gentoo
arch
debian
suse
ubuntu or mint?
fedora
slackware

obviously gentoo will take a full night and im not sure about slackware as
i must admit I havent done a install which i should probably take a look
at! does anyone have any other distros they would like to see installed or
maybe demo?..
I think we should look at putting the gentoo install at the end when we
have had plenty of time to look at the other installs as its a bit more
advanced.

Once we have a half decent schedule for that ill put these on the website
also we can then plan some other projects - server installs and any other
items we can demo to make the meetings more then just a monthly chat!! If
we think its to much every month we can do the demos every other month...

Please let me know you opinions please and ill start mapping it all out on
the planner :)

i got a nice present through the post this morning its a book called just
for fun a book on linux torvalds i got it for when i finish a book called
rebel code which is all about the gnu and linux / open source - the just
for fun book was very cheap and i think there is a couple left on amazon
for £3 delivered!! and thats hardback!!! and while im on the subject I
have a copy of revolution os which i a DVD on linux and open source which
is a good watch if anyone wants to take a look....
http://www.revolution-os.com/

--
Regards,
Wayne ward

07957448652
Lancaster Computers

www.lancastercomputers.co.uk
wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk

Computers - Laptops - Servers - Web Services