[Lancaster] XMAS Bash

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 17:20:47 UTC 2009

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone for turning up last night and to
wayne for the food.

There are a few demos I could do:

- I could do one on midi / softsynth based linux music creation, to
complement the audio recording and editing demo I did last year.
- I would like to show people what I have done with the midi drum pad. (see:
  http://home.ganglion.me:8000/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=synpad:home )
- could also re-run the audio recording and editing demo at some point.
- installing and using debian.
- using the command line.
- setting up an interactive website using drupal.
- basic graphics skills with the gimp and inkscape (but someone else
might do this better, as I'm not so much of an artist).

Also, I would like to point people to this site:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/
which has some really nicely written, friendly guides to how to use
various free software programs.

Finally, I would like to try and say a bit better what I was saying last
night about organising the demos. I think it's great if we can get these
going on a regular basis, but I think it would be better to start by
seeing what demos everyone can do and wants to do and work from that,
rather than trying to set out a program which covers everything then
finding people to fill the slots.

So maybe everyone who is up for helping get the demos off the ground
could post a list of what subjects they think they could cover, and then
once everyone has said what they can do, one of us could organise it
into a programme and post it back to the list.

thanks again to everyone for a good night yesterday. :)

andy