[Lancaster] Stupid question about usb pen

David Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 23:14:29 UTC 2009

Rik,

I'm by no means certain of my footing here, but as far as I was aware
most new (last couple of years) motherboards *can* boot from USB,
although usually it's one of those funny boot options you can only get
to by hitting the appropriate F button during the first screen (POST ?).

At least, that's been my experience.

Given that, it can be quite useful to have a USB Distro-on-a-Stick with
you, either for your own sanity when faced with Windaz-only machines, or
for carrying your own favourite OS and the apps you need all ready to go
wherever you are. However, I haven't tried the latest Ubuntu offering -
everything I've read suggests it just creates a 'Live Installer USB
Stick' rather than an 'actual' OS.
I have a 4GB Mandriva stick somewhere which is quite handy to have, but
isn't without it's issues.

Best,

Dave