[Lancaster] Hauppauge WINTV-NOVA-TD-500 igital TV card

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 16 16:44:44 UTC 2009

I've managed to get this TV card sort of working under 64 bit SUSE Linux 11.1

I first tried it under Windows XP (spit !!!), just to make sure all was well.
Results very good --- for the card that is.  :-)

I then fired up under SUSE. It was clear that the relevant modules for this
card had been loaded, but things didn't work. I then discovered that a bit of
hackery is needed. See:
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_WinTV_Nova-T_500_PCI#Linux_Support>
This info relates to Ubuntu, but there are a lot of generally applicable clues
including the need to download/install a firmware file and to enable the on
board 'low noise amplifier'.

I used Kaffeine to tune into channels sucessfully. Well, sort of sucessfully
in that only the strongest signals had been detected/tuned. Despite having
a 'line of sight' view to the Winter Hill transmitter from my location just
south of Kendal, I still need a good external antenna and a couple of booster
amplifiers. Given these, I get good signal strength into my normal television
set.

According to the link given above, it's necessary to manually enable the 'low
noise amplifier' on the TV card. I though that I had done this, but obviously
not sucessfully. All was OK under WinXP.

Then I got an error message which told me that codecs hadn't been installed.
Eventually this was sorted out with the help of the Pacman repository. The
stations that were detected could then be viewed, but some showed the broken
banding typical of when signal strength is poor.

I just need to sort out the 'low noise amplifier' bit. Otherwise it's looking
good.

Oh, and I need to set up the IR controller.

Regards

Ken hough