[Lancaster] Wanted: A Command Line That Doesn't Make My Eyes Bleed

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Sat Feb 28 09:10:46 UTC 2009

David Smith wrote:
> What I'm After:
> A crafty way of effectively changing the resolution on the command line
> I face on start up.
> I _believe_ (from some searching) that this is meant to be possible by
> adding a command to Grub for the kernel, along the lines of
> 	vga=$number_relating_to_a_resolution
> but damned if I can find out exactly how to do that in the config.
>   - 1) Is what I want to do possible?

I believe you will need to use the VESA frame buffer driver this link
may provide a bit of help:

>   - 2) Where the devil do I whack the appropriate commands in to make it
> permanent?!

The file you want to edit to make it permanent is /boot/grub/menu.lst.
There is usually a fair amount of inline documentation in that file.
Look for the configuration option called "kopt".  As a hint - don't
remove the # at the beginning of the kopt line!

Martyn