[Lancaster] Linux with dialup?

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Tue Jan 27 18:04:55 UTC 2009

2009/1/27 llug at lodestar.icom43.net <llug at lodestar.icom43.net>

> I would suggest Damn Small Linux, but I couldn't swear as to the modem
> support - I'll try and check that. DSL is usually thought of as a
> lightweight distro like Puppy, but when it's installed to disk it's Debian
> - and it uses Knoppix hardware detection :-)

It's an idea, but the trouble with it is that it's Damn Small. Which means
that most of the packages he's likely to want for a decent modern desktop
aren't included.  Installing OpenOffice.org, for instance, over a dial-up
connection, would take hours.

What he really wants is something that has everything he needs on the disk,
so that the less installing of stuff via the internet  he has to do, the
better.

--
Ken Walton