[Lancaster] Help! Netbook keeps rebooting!

Ken Walton ken.walton at carandol.net
Wed Jul 29 11:18:08 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I wondered if any of you nice people could help me. In the last couple of
days, my netbook -- a Toshiba NB100 running Ubuntu Hardy Heron Netbook Remix
-- has suddenly started rebooting randomly. The screen suddenly goes black
and it goes to the bootup screen, but then comes up with a message that
Ubuntu can't detect the display correctly and asks if I want to continue in
a minimal graphics mode or shut down. If I shut down, it boots up fine the
next time. It did this about four times yesterday, and has done it three
times already this morning.

I don't know if it's a hardware problem or a software problem and I don't
understand linux logs well enough to gain anything meaningful from them.
This is my only computer, and I've got a pile of copy-editing I'm supposed
to get finished this week, so I'm hoping it's an easily fixed software
glitch. I've only had the machine about 3 months and it's already had to go
back for repair once after the whole thing went completely dead.

Any (not too technical!) suggestions gratefully accepted!
--
Ken Walton