[Lancaster] memory error?

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Thu Jun 18 21:40:05 UTC 2009

andy baxter wrote:
> Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 05:49:58PM +0100, andy baxter wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm getting intermittent system freezes. The whole system just locks up
>>> and nothing works, including ctrl-alt-f1. I've tried running a memory
>>> test, both from the hard disk and a usb cd drive, and in both cases the
>>> test program freezes with junk on the screen. There doesn't seem to be
>>> any pattern to this - sometimes it happens just after I switch on, and
>>> sometimes after an hour or so.
>>>
>>> Is it worth getting some new memory and trying that? (I've tried just
>>> taking the memory chip out and putting it back in).
>>>

>> Some distros come with a memory checker that offers itself on grub bootup.
>> www.memtest86.com/ Might be worth having a go with that before spending
>> money ?
>>

> I have tried running the grub memory checker, and it hangs after a few
> seconds. The same happens when I run memtest86 from a live CD.
>
> andy

Hi Andy,

I assume that this machine has been running fine in the same
configuration in the past. I'd try to re-seat the memory (unplug it and
plug it back in). It could also be a power issue, try unplugging all
unnecessary components and drives. Leave just a CDROM and boot memtest
from one of the LiveCDs to see if the issue still occurs.

Martyn