[Lancaster] old server free to a good home

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 12 15:59:52 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009 14:57:43 andy baxter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have a use for an old pentium I/II (?) 233(/133?) 32Mb
> machine? I used to use it as a home server for testing websites on, but
> don't need it for that since I bought the NSLU2.
>
> It's pretty slow for today, but is still perfectly fast enough to use as
> a home (or small office) web/file server. No hard disk but has a
> ethernet card, graphics card and modem. Would be good for anyone who
> wants to experiment with running their own headless server over ssh.
> Might also do as an X-client to a faster machine. I could also throw in
> a 4*20 LCD character display and a solid state flash disk with
> read/write switch (useful for running a secure server).
>
> Free to a good home - I'm keen to find a home for this rather than trash
> it.

I know the feeling!

I've still got an old 486 box which runs SuSE v6.2 at a respectable speed as a
headless server. Of course, it's totally useless for running X. I keep this
box mainly because it includes ancient hardware items such as a 5 1/4"

Your Pentium box could be just the job for someone who wishes to experiment
with networking.