[Lancaster] Have I broke my machine?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 18:17:01 UTC 2009

red wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to install google earth but it not working!
>
> Could not display
> "/home/red/Desktop/googleearth-linux-plus-4.3.7284.3916.bin".
> There is no application installed for this file type

The way I would do it is:

- open a terminal
- type 'cd Desktop' and press enter
- type 'ls' . When you press enter a list of files should come up,
including the google earth file.
- type 'chmod u+x googleearth-linux-plus-4.3.7284.3916.bin' (You don't
need to type the whole filename - just type the first few characters
then press tab and it should complete it for you). This will make the
file executable so you can run it as a program.
- then type './google<tab>' (i.e. press tab to complete the filename)
- this should start the installer - follow instructions from there.

andy